Friday, November 13, 2009

The first source I looked at was about meal portions in Paris vs meal portions in Philadelphia. the study showed that meal portions in Philadelphia was about 25% larger than meal portions in Paris. Because of similar diets of fatty foods, this factor alone contributes to Americans' larger belt sizes than those of the French. There are 4 comments on this and they are all generally the same. They all supported the idea presented in the primary source, and some added additional resources to readers to follow up on their diet research. Another response gave tips to eating better.

The next source I looked at was about military workouts. It turns out that many people are more efficient at working out when they have some one yelling at them during their workout. The primary source gives different places to get one of these military workouts around the country. However, some of the responces disagree with using boot camp to lose weight and get in shape. One blogger cites the fact that many people just lack the time to go to boot camp because of a job and/or a family. On top of that, some people just aren't cut out for boot camp, and drop out after a week or two. Another blogger states that teen boot camps are great for building character in developing adults, and that going to boot camp as a teen will significantly augment a teen's health and self esteem. Each blogger had a good point, and the primary source did a great job of selling this specific method of exercise.

You can find both blogs on http://liftnews.squarespace.com/

5 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    Its interesting to see how greatly the meal sizes differ between the United States and other countries throughout the world. From what I have heard, the U.S. does have much larger meal sizes, just as the first forum says. I know that many Japanese people eat lighter meals and for the most part they seem to have their obesity levels under control. Controlling hunger seems to be a prominent topic in many weight loss programs. I guess its just another one of those things where one has to put himself through pain in order to get the results he desires. Pain being hunger, and the results would be losing weight. I like how you analyzed each blogger and commented on how you thought they approached each topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I could see as where America would have a rep as a country with larger meal quantities. Another class I'm taking has talked about obesity, and it's a growing problem. Even more specifically, meal portions are larger in the south of the US than the North. I also found the boot camp article interesting, and I can also see as where people would have different opinions. Like Max said, I like how you analyzed each blogger, it made it easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan
    I really like your blog post. Americans do seem to strap on the ol feed bag and eat huge meals. for instance, I eat large meals. If I lived in Asia, I would probably eat much smaller meals. I guess Americans really can't control their appetites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A valuable post on "Ryan Van Fossen's English 110 Blog".I'm using the methods from http://debtfreeliving.lose20.com to reduce weight and it really works.

    Thanks,
    Wilson- Lose 20 - Losing weight may save your life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan, I like this post. It is easy to see why Americans are so much larger than citizens of other countries. I also like that you looked at military-style weight loss boot camps. I think that Americans need someone on their back, breathing down their neck to push them in most cases. I know I do better when I have someone telling me that I need to get things done, or even when I have a deadline approaching.

    ReplyDelete