Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dear future English 110 student,

I don't know what it is abot my writing that people like, but I must have been doing something correctly for these past few years. However, whenever I write, I make sure that I have a point on which I focus the writing. Whether it was comparing aspects of George Orwell's 1984 to contemporary America in my Junior year research paper, or determining the purpose of a Tom Hardy poem my sophmore year, there has always been a clearly defined point to my writing. I also make sure that I choose a topic rich in information and potential. For this class specifically, I chose a primary source that I knew would have plenty of research surrounding it, one that many people would know. I chose a Frosted Flakes commercial as my primary source because they have been producing commercials for a long time. Many people would understand the message and be able to understand my writing because they are familiar with the source. On top of that, I knew I would be find research supporting any well thought out argument I could make because advertising is such a carefully formulated topic. There would be a copia of research and literature on the topic of advertising, especially towards the intended audience of children. Be careful in the beginning of the course as this is when you set up the rest of your writing for the quarter, based on the primary source you choose. You have to use good judgment and foresight to pick a good source that will be able to give seven pages of rich writing. Good luck this quarter, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it!

2 comments:

  1. Ryan, thanks for sharing about your ARP paper. Starting off well is something people don't always think about when composing rough drafts or, in the case of this class, small papers leading up to a large one. Building a solid foundation isn't what I have ever thought about, just as long as it's good by the final draft. Also, your comments on sources are very true; it's hard to find one or more that can provide topics for a length of seven pages. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some pretty interesting examples here. Using your ARP paper and giving our topic for the quarter was also a great idea. However, all you have is the ARP paper and the research. Since this is supposed to be a letter to future students, you should give them more examples of the papers they will do. Another thing you can do is give them examples on how you did your research. All in all, pretty good. You just need to include more examples, such as the commonplace essays or writing for a public audience..

    ReplyDelete